Tuesday, August 11, 2009

You Don't take a trip..The trip takes you!!

Just chanced upon an interesting piece of article written by a Bengali about Bengali people’s passion for travelling. Check this article “monkey-cap-in-the-bag” in your liesure time. I always believed you could tell in a hill station whether a tourist is a Bengali by looking at his Monkey-cap and/or Muffler. But certainly the spirit with which people travel in Bengal is something to reckon for.

When I went to Madurai some 12-13 years back during Durga puja with my parents, we hired a tourist bus from Chennai (then Madras) to Madurai.I rememeber about ninety percent of the people who were travelling with us were Bengalis visiting south india during puja vacation. Moreover to my utter astonishment, I saw there were hotels in Madurai with placards announcing special discounts for Bengalis during that time considering the heavy rush during that time. I believe I have also inherited the same genes in me from my parents who themselves were an ardent travellers, partially thanks to my father’s ever mobile job.

There is something about travelling that is mystical and very very enticing. I guess what we do on a daily basis have ramification that will happen in future (in my case it is end of month). Perhaps we all are leaving life at present for future. But travelling makes us aware of our present. Though there is always a destination to reach at while travelling but somehow there are no inhibitions of past and future and all you know and care for is that moment.

Well enough of philosophy I guess. I was inching to write this on my post for quite sometime and I am very glad to announce that I am going for our grand Ladakh sojourn this weekend. It has been on my mind for last 3-4 years and finally I am glad it is going to get executed pretty soon. It will definately be a much needed "Hawa Bodol"(read the article above to the meaning) for me from my mundane drudgery. So keep checking this space on our latest updates on -"Mission Ladakh ’09".I am pretty much sure I will have a lot to write about our grand journey. I would like to end this post with this quote which I read recently :

“Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France

Hope to see you soon in Highway!!

1 comment: